Saturday, July 29, 2006

Google Checkout The Paypal Killer ?

This is a quick heads up on a significant new development for online marketers everywhere.

You've probably come across the rumours over the last year or so about a Google payment system?

These rumours gathered pace recently when it was discovered that Google had been running tests on a new subdomain which promptly disappeared as word got out.



Well the rumourmongers can sit there smugly as today Google have just gone live with their brand new payment system!!

If you have a Google account then you can login now and take a look around -

http://checkout.google.com/sell

After a very brief look at the system I've discovered that it will be integrated into Adwords in a very interesting way.

First of all for every $1 spent on Adwords you will earn f.ree transaction processing of $10 on Checkout the following month!

So spend $100 on Adwords and you will earn $1000 f.ree transaction processing the following month!

Another interesting feature that could have far reaching effect is that Advertisers supporting Google Checkout will be able to display an icon advertising the fact on their ad.

I can see prospects favouring the ads with the icon in the future as credibility grows for the new system.

Now how much will that boost your CTR?

The same can be said for sites supporting the option to pay via Google Checkout.

The Google brand is probably the most trusted brand online, rightly or wrongly, and being associated with them via their payment system could go as far as increasing your sales!

I'm only just taking a look at the system myself but I'll be seriously considering dropping Paypal as will many others I'm sure. I know for a fact many serious online marketers shy away from them already, you're probably one of them. I've had my own bad experiences which I won't go into here.

Anyway, take a look at the new Checkout and consider it seriously it could just be responsible for a boost in your sales.

I almost forgot here's the Press Release with a few more details -

http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/pressrel/checkout.html

No comments: